View Single Post
Old 03-10-2013, 11:04 AM   #1
edgarpanders

Default Transmission Rumble?

I have a '03 HSE Giverney Green/cream which has been a great ride for years. I purchased used with out 60Kmi from AZ about 5 years ago and now it has near 115Kmi.

Lately, at about 45-55 mph I hear a rumbling noise from the rear. Like its in super high gear and not getting enough from engine. If I accelerate, the gear drops down and the noise is gone...but repeats. When car is cold it takes a while for car to warm...then the sounds again.

I took the the dealership and they say I needed a new "controller" thingy that sorts our the electronics for the transmission. Problem NOT solved and now they say I need a new transmission at the tune of some 5K! They told me that changing the transmission fluid would make things worse. I actually don't know if the trans fluid was ever changed since I've owned the car (yeah I know!!).

I have little confidence in LR dealership mechanics and or service overall. I've live in three States with this car and find they have little knowledge...which is scary.

So LR gang, any suggestions. Do you think a trans fluid change would resolve things...baring a new trans? I find it hard to believe that LR, the toughest SUV would have trans issues particularly for such low miles.

Thanks in advance for the advice.
edgarpanders is offline   Reply With Quote