Thread: Help
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2012, 01:44 PM   #3
unstable

I'm not familiar enough with all of the nuances of the Disco II's electrical / ignition system to say for sure, but I will say that a faulty neutral position switch can usually cause the car to not want to start.

The neutral switch ensures that the car is in neutral or park before it will start to prevent it from trying to start while in gear. Just for laughs you might want to try shifting through all of the gears and see if that yields you any change.
I would guess that the switch would be right there at the shifter and should be easy to fix, you might be able to bypass the switch with a paper-clip or just by joining two wires (all depending on how the switch is configured this may or may not work).

I had problems with my coil pack not long ago and that's also a possibility but it was only causing misfires, I didn't have a no-start condition. Weak spark would also point towards bad wires or bad coil pack(s).

As the other poster mentioned, there's also the possibility that you've got a bad crankshaft sensor. I'm trying to think of how much of a bear that would be to replace...unless I'm mistaken it's sitting on the front of the timing cover. You'd have to tear down the fan / belts, one bolt holds it in, plugs into a weather-proof connector which might be bolted down somewhere as well.

I'd check the neutral safety switch for starters.
unstable is offline   Reply With Quote